Mission Valley Homes for Sale
zip code: 92108
Click the "Listings" tab above and you will see all the MISSION VALLEY homes that are currently in the market for sale.
Mission Valley is a wide river valley going east to west in San Diego. The actual river itself, the San Diego River, flows to the Pacific Ocean. The valley is divided into two neighborhoods: Mission Valley East and Mission Valley West.
Mission Valley was the site of the first Spanish settlement in California, established in 1769.
Mission Valley nowadays serves as an important (for tax revenue purposes) shopping and entertainment center for San Diego. Plenty condominiums and apartments can be found near these areas.
The San Diego River Valley was originally called La Cañada de San Diego. Cañada in Spanish means gully or ravine. The name was changed to Mission Valley in the 1860s in reference to the Mission San Diego de Alcala.
The Mission Valley area was once inhabited by Kumeyaay Indians for more than 1000 years.
The first Spanish settlement in present day California was the Presidio of San Diego and Mission of San Diego de Alcala, both established in 1769. The Presidio and Mission were located at the western end of Mission Valley, present day Old Town, where the valley opens out into the flood plain of the San Diego River. In 1774 the Mission was moved to its present location at the eastern end of Mission Valley because of better access to fresh water for drinking and farming.
Until the 1940s Mission Valley remained mostly undeveloped. The Valley was nothing more than dairy farms and agricultural farming. The "city" of San Diego itself was located and mostly confined to areas south of the valley and closer to the bay. After World War II the city’s expansion began moving north into the valley. The last of the valley’s dairy farms closed in the early 1960s.
Another early activity in Mission Valley was quarrying sand and gravel from its walls. A large quarry on the north side of the valley was in operation for most of the 20th century. The quarry closed operations around 2000 and is now the site of the proposed Quarry Falls mixed use development.
The development of Mission Valley began in 1953, when the first hotel was built in what is now Hotel Circle. In 1958 the city rezoned 90 acres of the river valley to allow construction of San Diego’s first regional shopping center. The Mission Valley Center (now Westfields Mission Valley) opened in 1961. Several other large regional shopping malls have since been erected nearby..
In the late 1950s and early 1960s, the U.S. 80 freeway (now Interstate 8) was constructed through Mission Valley, this action further opened the area up for more development.
Westgate Park, a baseball stadium for the then-minor-league San Diego Padres, was built in Mission Valley in 1957. In 1967 San Diego Stadium (later renamed Jack Murphy Stadium, now called Qualcomm Stadium) was opened and the Padres moved there, becoming a major league team the following year.
Qualcomm Stadium is home to the National Football League San Diego Chargers.
Mission Valley stretches as far west as Interstate 5 and as far east as Interstate 15. The divider separating Mission Valley East and Mission Valley West is State Route 163.
BROKER - REALTOR®